Sunday

Now ain’t that just Perfect!

“A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault.” ~John Henry Newman

I listened to C C Chapman’s pod-cast about perfection this weekend. It seems that whenever there’s an issue surrounding social media and/or marketing, either C C Chapman, Mitch Joel or Jaffe Juice  read my mind and then run to their mikes to rain upon me their little aural gems of wisdom.

I’ve always wanted to be a writer but self-censorship and self consciousness provided convenient excuses that led me to procrastinate for a few decades.

Instead of practicing my craft by just doing it, I stored away post-it notes to be resurrected later and be metamorphosed into that great Canadian memoir or play.

Fear of making mistakes, fear of not being perfect has robbed me of living to my potential.

Maybe it’s the maturity that comes from being on the far side of the hill, but by opening the Pandora’s Box of social media, I have rediscovered  passion and promise in myself.

I know now that making a mistake doesn’t diminish me as a human being - It makes me more human. It took me a long time to understand that.

“Congratulations! You're not perfect! It's ridiculous to want to be perfect anyway. But then, everybody's ridiculous sometimes, except perfect people. You know what perfect is? Perfect is not eating or drinking or talking or moving a muscle or making even the teensiest mistake. Perfect is never doing anything wrong - which means never doing anything at all. Perfect is boring!” ~Stephen Manes

Believe in Yourself!

4 comments:

  1. lol!!! thank you Ray! GREAT blog. sigh...I am, at 34 (yikes!) just starting to understand that. to understand that i must face the fear, the fear of things not working out, of failure & still completely throw myself in.
    Is it crazy that at 34 I am starting a new chapter in my carreer, that I am basically working for 3 months as a glorified intern while eating alot of peanut butter & tuna ( it's cheap), and yes- still hae to accept help from my mom?- probably.
    But you know what? I am finally getting it: you only get in life what you have the courage to ask for- & the3n goin' for it!
    So, Ray- here's to both of us Goin' For It!
    love,
    Fanny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beginning to understand that regardless of how old we are, we always have a "lifetime" ahead of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post. I'm mentioning it in my column this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brian. Encouraging and very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete